Pages

Questions to Ask During a Parent Teacher Conference


Are you looking for a list of questions to ask the teacher during your parent/teacher conference? Here is a list of questions I routinely go over with the teachers during conference time. Look over these questions and modify them according to your needs. If you have any additional questions, ideas or stories, please comment below.
How is my child doing in school? In reading? Math? Science? Social Studies?
What subjects are his strongest? Weakest?
How are my child's work habits? Does he/she complete work on time?
Is homework turned in on time?
Does my child need extra help in a particular subject?
What is my child's ability level? Does he/she comfortably work at that level?
Is my student in different classes or groups for different subjects? Which ones? How are the groups determined?
How is my child's behavior?
Does he/she get along well with classmates? Who does my child play with? Is there any child you think might be a good friend for him that he doesn't play with?
Does my child participate in class activities?
Does my child show leadership abilities?
What kinds of tests do you give? What do the tests show about my student's progress? How does my student handle taking tests?
How does my child behave around adults? Is he polite and respectful?
What do you consider my child's best strengths and interests?
How can I help?
If I need to reach you, what is the best way? (E-mail, phone, note.)
During your conference time, if a teacher mentions a behavior or learning issue, listen carefully. Ask questions so you understand if this is a normal behavior or issue that needs a little work or if it is a problem and needs to be watched more closely. If that is the case if any learning disability is a possibility, ask the teacher what the school provides as far as testing. My advice would be not to delay testing if case any issue is present. If the school provides testing, it is better to have that done early rather than late. It will either ease your mind or allow your child the opportunity to learn more and receive help faster.
Cammie's blog site http://www.MomsMaterial.com gives moms ideas they want. She talks about books for kids and moms, party ideas, school, parenting, great gifts ideas and how to look good doing it all.
;